How students can use social media for their job hunting
Nowadays, the task of job searching goes hand in hand with the social media as now most of the students use social media as the main medium of communication. Besides, social media platforms are also the most popular forms of networking, designed on the basis of the social interaction, enabled by the web 2.0 technologies. Therefore, the social media platforms can lend a great degree of specialty to the job search while enhancing the scope of various employment opportunities.
- According to a recent survey, around 45% of the employers use the social media platforms to screen the prospective candidates and now this ratio is growing in leaps and bounds. The employers mainly check the social networking profiles of the potential candidates to check their professional demeanor, communication & behavioral skills, the subject matter proficiency & the assets they possess and how well rounded the candidates are.
- Besides, around 40% of the students now take the help of the social media for job seeking, researching careers and to market themselves to the future employers while sorting their social life. At the same time, this ratio suggests that around 60% of the total students still miss the scope to present themselves properly in front of the employers or fail to use social media profiles appropriately to get future employment options.
Social media can provide the students both the necessary details and the connections that are important for their job hunts. Here the students can research about different industries and companies, can contact with the present employees of any company to learn about the work culture, job details, hiring procedure, professional associations, work ethics, networking and recruiting events, recommendations that the companies are looking for and so on. Besides, they can learn about the industry information and technical updates & guidelines on the domain and prepare their skills and candidatures accordingly.
Now let’s have some details about the popular social networking platforms and how to use them for job searching:
Facebook: It is one of the most effective networking platforms available today. Facebook is a fun for having informal conversations, chats at the same time; it is also great for professional practices like for job hunting, network building etc. These days, a number of employers are taking the help of this platform to find and scrutinize the right employees for their companies and job roles. By using this platform, the students can:
- Follow & like the companies they are interested in to know about their recent news, announcements and the job opportunities.
- Join various groups on the niche and participate on discussions actively and consistently. This way students and job seekers can broaden their candidature’s reachability and findability.
- Post notes regarding the career opportunities they are looking for. These also offer the scope to include longer messages.
- Update education, work and professional skills to elevate their professional application and forte.
- Post statuses to inform the friends on their profiles that they are in search of jobs. Besides, students who have their own blogs can also share it on Facebook.
LinkedIn: LinkedIn allows the students & professionals to highlight the work history, their accomplishments, their skill sets, professional clouts and many more things. In sequence, the potential employers can find the potential employees with the right credentials while filling up the open positions. So, by taking the help of LinkedIn, the students can:
- Look for the job opportunities. Apart from looking for the job postings, the students can easily participate in different discussions and can join different groups. A number of employers post the job opportunities within the discussion sections of various groups. Joining and interacting socially and professionally on those conversations can boost any ones professional visibility and hiring likability.
- Grow endorsements & recommendations from other people in his or her profile, demonstrating professionalism and including credibility to the resume within any specific industry.
- Add complete educational and professional details to their profiles and additionally they can connect directly with different company recruiters on the same industry.
- Share valuable articles and contents on the niche. By doing so students can increase the chances of getting contacted by recruiters and hired by companies.
Twitter: Twitter is mainly used for creating a great online presence, by joining conversations, keeping the latest on news, learning about different job opportunities and building connections & audience. Twellow-the Twitter tool searches the URLs and the bios of people. After that, a quick search will list the users to find the companies they want to work with along with the employers, who are on this platform. But while using twitter, the users have to make sure that, they create the twitter name with their real name. By using twitter, the students will get the benefits like:
- Following the recruiters, companies and the people of preference to learn about the job opportunities as well as the employment & industry news
- Reaching out to millions of people for networking from whom they can ask advice & opinions
- Building a great online presence by using the hashtags to mention other users, re-tweet the information and to contribute to any conversation.
But no matter what social media platforms students choose for their job hunting, it is very important for them to have a thorough understanding of different social networking profiles like Facebook, LinkedIn, twitter or the blogs. Additionally students have to have complete knowledge about how these profiles work before they start using these social platforms for their professional career enhancements and job searching.